*Contest piece by Mark Jeffrey Santos shown above.
Rules and Conditions
1. CANVAS' Romeo Forbes Children's Story Writing Competition is open to all Filipinos anywhere on the planet.
2. Entries must not have been previously published, and all entrants warrant the originality of their submitted entries.
3. Writers may submit only one entry, in English or Filipino, which shall be of eight hundred fifty (850) words or less. This word limit is a strict and absolute word limit. Even just one word above the limit will be enough to disqualify an entry.
4. There is no particular theme, other than the use of this edition's contest piece, a new untitled acrylic on canvas artwork by Mark Jeffrey Santos (shown above) as the inspiration or basis for the entry.
5. JUDGING. A CANVAS review panel will read and award points for all stories received based on the following criteria:
Originality and Storyline (40%)
Quality of Writing (20%)
CANVAS will then send the two to five stories that receive the highest stocres to the Artist, who will select the winning story that will be brought to life.
6. INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMITTING STORIES. Kindly follow these instrucitons carefully when submitting your entry:
7. The deadline for submission of entries is 5:00 p.m. (Manila time), Friday, February 19, 2021. CANVAS acknowledges each and every entry that we receive. If you submitted a story and do not receive an acknowledgement from us within 24 hours, please assume that your story was not received and kindly resend it to us.
Nevertheless, entries received after the deadline, even if sent earlier, may no longer be considered for the Competition.
CANVAS shall not be responsible for entries which are not received, or which are received after the deadline, due to technical failure or for any reason whatsoever.
8. There shall be only one winner, who shall receive a cash prize of PhP 45,000.00 (less applicable withholding tax) for his/her entry. The winner shall be resposible for all applicable taxes. The winning writer shall also be entitled to five (5) free copies upon publication of the book.
9. The winner shall retain his/her full intelectual property rights over his/her story. However, by entering this contest, the winner agrees to grant and assign to CAVNAS a concurrent, royalty-free and non-exclusive right to exercise the same copyright and all other intellectual property rights granted to the author (and his/her assignees), with respect to the winning story.
Kindly note that it is the intention of CANVAS to enable free and full access to, and sharing of the winning story to the general public, including making the same freely downloadable on the Internet, as well as publshing copies of books based on the winning story for free distribution to children in public schools and disadvantaged communities throughout the Philippines.
The prize money that will be awarded shall constitute full payment of such concurrent, royalty-free and non exclusive grant of intellectual property and publication rights to the winning story.
The winner shall not be entitled to any other royalties or fees from earnings, if any, that may result from future publication, licensing, creation of derivatives, and other transactions based on the same.
10. CANVAS shall not retain any other rights to entries that are not selected as the winner, except where separate agreements are reached with the concerned writers.
11. CANVAS shall exercise full and exclusive editorial and artistic control over the publication of the winning entry and resulting book. While it is the full intention of CANVAS to publish the winning entry as afull-color children's book, CANVAS reserves the right not to publish the same for any reason whatsoever.
12. The winner of the CANVAS competition will be announced sometime in April 2021, if not earlier. The winner will also be notified via email/text on the same announcement date.
13. The decision of CANVAS in selecting the finalist, and the Artist in selecting the winner shall be final, and no correspondence or inquiries into the same -- including requests for comments/feedback on received entries -- shall be entertained.
14. Employees of CANVAS, and members of their immediate family, as well as the Artist's immediate family, are disqualified from participating in the competition.